Thursday, July 4, 2013

Summer shows frenzy

Heyooooo,

I’ve been spending my last two weekends to check on some new shows and finally had the time (or the willing) to write this down. I know there are numbers of summer show, but I didn’t want to bother watching the lousy one. So, I’d give you a review of four summer shows instead, in which I watch only based on my judgment after checking on the net about the storyline, the creator, and the cast for the show. Here they are:

#1. The Fosters


Why I watch the pilot in the first place? I have a numerous sitcom I watch regularly, couples of thriller, suspense, mystery, even action drama to feed my passion as a TV aficionado, but then I realized I don’t have a family drama series on my list. So when I read about ‘The Fosters’, I was pretty curious to know how this one would’ve turned out.

When I saw the pilot, I was reminded so much by 2003’s teen drama series ‘The OC’. Both series were focusing on a troubled youth who has no one to be a proper role model in their life. After came out from juvie, both lead characters on the shows abruptly find a home which they never thought ever existed. The idea of the whole story was basically about a misfit teenager who finally feels like belongs places and struggle to adapt with the new family.

‘The Fosters’ itself centers on a lesbian couple who bring home a troubled girl along with her brother to their multi-ethnic family. Honestly, I see a potential on this show. Even though the story was sounded typical, the writers always left a little puzzle on the end of each episode to keep the show interesting. Plus, I found the boys are pretty cute. Hahhaa. Oh, and the soundtracks are actually pretty cool too and catchy. The opening song always got stuck in my head for hours every time I watched it :D

I think ‘The Fosters’ could be worth a while, depends on whether the writers are capable to make some twist and turn with the storyline. It’s not special, but you could give it a try since you don’t have many alternatives on TV right now. I personally give this show 6.5 out of 10. Hope it’d get better and surprise me on the upcoming episodes.

#2. Twisted


This is another teen drama from ABC Family. But instead of telling about a love story breeze, ‘Twisted’ gives a dark and creepy nuance to the audience. Little bit like ‘Pretty Little Liars’, now when I think about it.

‘Twisted’ tells a story about a teen killer who comes back to his hometown after paid a five year sentence on juvie. Not only he has to gain his best friends’ trust back, he also has to face the whole city to accept him after what he’d done. To add on his trouble, right after he returns, a girl from his school was found dead and he happens to be the last person who had contacted her.

I love this show. Just like the title, it has so many twist and unpredictable plots. The writers always left the audience hanging and guessing about the lead character (Danny Desai), whether he’s guilty or not. Kudos to Avan Jogia for playing Danny with such the best poker face and mysterious character in the series.

I see a lot of potential in ‘Twisted’. If a show like ‘Pretty Little Liars’ could make it this far, why this one wouldn’t? hehe. I’d say watch it guys, you won’t get bored nor regret the 45 minutes you’ve spent to check this one out. My rates: 7,5 out of 10.

#3. Mistresses


I decided to watch this show because I thought it would be something like ‘Desperate Housewives’, with the troubled characters, lot of schemes, and dense storyline. But when I saw the pilot, my first impression was meh. Almost everything on the show annoyed me.

'Mistresses' centers on a group of women, each of which has a secret love life. The idea of the show, I guess, is to give the viewers a closer look of how a mistress' life would look like. I think the premise wasn't so bad, but the execution is.

The characters are so weak and living in a contrived world, I even had a hard time to picture it happening in real life. The lines are flat and I didn’t feel a strong chemistry between the main characters, even when the two of them are sisters on screen. I didn’t feel any connection with this show, so I got bored when I watched it. Even the sex scene wasn’t hot and didn't feel natural at all!

When you watch a show, you really need to like at least one of the main characters. Otherwise, you won’t feel connected and invested in the show. ‘Mistresses’ clearly doesn’t give me that. In fact, it has nothing to offer to the audience to keep them watching the show.

So, to sum up, ‘Mistresses’ is a piece of crap. Really, don’t bother to watch this show, fellas. I’d give this one 5 out of 10.

#4. Under the Dome


Wow. Just wow.

When I finished watching the pilot, that was literally the first word came out of my mouth.

I’ve been anticipating this series since the first time I’ve heard about it, mainly because it was based on the book from one of my favorite writer, Stephen King. The King himself, along with Steven Spielberg (hell yeah!) also involve as executive producers of the show. And thank God, the execution was nothing near disappointment. In fact, it was proved to be well-build, intense, and really promising. Brian K. Vaughan totally landed this show in a marvelous start.

Only by watching the first episode, I really think people would actually get hooked. The show has already built a stark and solid premise for the rest of the season (if not for the whole show). So much conflicts and twists, each of which has a potential to be a good storyline. The characters are well-written as well. They had their own problem to deal with, yet still connected one another.

I had a jaw-dropping moment during the pilot, which was happening when the dome first dropped in the city. There was a scene where a cow which unfortunately stands exactly at the borderline of the dome, fell slowly and split in two, right in the middle. That was soooo effing cooollllll. Really, I’m not exaggerating.

This show is really worth your time. I give this one 8,5 out of ten. You won’t regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment