Saturday, July 13, 2013

A cop drama with potential political conflicts



Another cop drama? Bear with me people, for this one probably gives you something more than just dead bodies to watch.

The first time I found out about ‘The Bridge’, the only thing that attracted me was the list of the cast. Once I saw Diane Kruger among that list, I got curious and decided to check out this new FX’s show. But pardon me, I just finished watching it last night, so I guess my review was kind of late. Haha.

To be honest, I’m sick and tired of cop drama, so I didn’t have much expectation about this one. I only watched it because I was wondering what kind of show that could’ve gotten Kruger and Demian Bichir to star on it in the first place. I bet they must have seen something on the show, right? Otherwise, they wouldn’t have bothered to play the roles, since they both are big screen’s players.

Anyway, here’s what I think about ‘The Bridge’:

The show started with a typical opening of a cop drama’s pilot. Crime scene, dead body, cops snooping around with their walkie talkies, and so on, and so forth. The one thing that should get your attention was the location where the body was founded, which is right in the border of US and Mexico. The case then gets more interesting when the body itself turned out to be half-cut, with each half was ripped from two different persons.

As the story unfolds, we get to see that apparently, the case was part of serial killers which has been happening in Mexico for years. Only this time, it looks like the killer has decided to expand his work to US as he never gets the attention he deservedly got from the Hispanics.
­

A simple murder case then becomes more complicated as two detectives from both country, Sonya North and Marco Ruiz are forced to work together to resolve the mystery. Not only the two have different background and work ethic, their characters doesn’t seem to match perfectly either.


In the show, Kruger plays North, a female detective who has an Asperger. She plays really well as a bitch in my opinion, as she doesn’t seem capable to feel empathy for the victim’s family and her lack of emotion really drives people around her -- and even me as an audience -- frustrated. She’s uptight and intends to do everything by the book to follow the procedure.

Meanwhile, Bichir plays Ruiz, a detective who lives in a country of which morality and integrity are a compromising matter for law enforcement. Even so, he still has a willing and good intention to make it right, despite of everything his country has put him through. Bichir also nails his role and successfully plays a humble, dignified man in the show.

Along with the strong characters, the premise of the show is pretty solid too. How often we could see a sensitive topic like immigration to be brought on TV? This could be a good start to see something different on a cop drama, which usually only comprised of murders and how to get the killer. On ‘The Bridge’, I could see more complicated and political conflicts ahead.

So the acting and the premise are definitely not an issue here. But I do have some concerns. I’ve told you that North is an Asperger. So how come she could become a homicide detective in the first place? On the pilot, I’ve seen her handling a victim’s family and totally wrecked it. So I wonder how could she put herself together during an interrogation with a suspect or a witness after all? She couldn’t even relate with other people’s feelings, for God sake. How could she trick a suspect to confess when she couldn’t even lie?

Another thing I’d like to emphasize here is the plot. I think the plot on the show is too slow. God, I almost fell asleep when I watched it. There were some scenes that kept me awake though, like when they found the body was half-cut and when a reporter trapped in his car with a bomb. But the most interesting part for me was the sneak-peak for the next episode on the end of the show, hahhaha.

I think I’m gonna stick around with this show for a while to check on where this is headed. In the end, I give ‘The Bridge’ 7.5 out of 10. Not addictive, but worth the chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment